Mother’s Day is right around the corner and it is quite likely that grown-up “kids” everywhere are struggling again this year with what to give Mom. When you reach a certain stage in your life, you are more focused on downsizing than accumulating; more excited about experiencing than acquiring; and more at ease with being served than having to provide the service! This is when an AmaWaterways multi-generational family reunion becomes the perfect Mother’s Day gift.
After two years of postponed family gatherings, 2022 is quickly turning into the year to get the whole family together and river cruising has so much to offer every member of the family. Spending quality time together while having the freedom to pursue your own interests and taking the burden off everyone to plan and prepare meals are all ingredients to a truly memorable family get-together.
Travel is a force of good in the world and watching young members of the family experience history come to life, marvel at new cultures, question old beliefs or perhaps even decide to learn a new language are all aspects of travel that are priceless. Looking back to the challenges of the past two years, if there is one lesson we all learned, it is not to postpone experiences with the people who matter most to you.
Here are 10 excellent reasons to gift Mom a family river cruise and make this her most unforgettable Mother’s Day!
- AmaWaterways is inclusive – we accept children from age four* and up, and most of our ships have connecting staterooms, which makes it easy for parents to keep a watchful eye on younger members of the family.
- We can meet different budget needs. All our staterooms have exterior views, most with open-air balconies, and while Mom will love our spacious suites, we do have some more budget-friendly window staterooms that are very comfortable.
- Separate but together – with less than 150 guests accommodated on three decks, our ships feel more like private yachts than cruise ships and there is no need to send out search parties to find everyone at the end of the day. All family members are close at hand regardless of stateroom category.
- Allergies and dietary concerns are easily accommodated by our attentive culinary team – whether vegan, gluten-free, low sodium, or specific allergies, we take dietary requests seriously and have our chefs meet with guests at the beginning of the cruise to review their needs. Our menus change daily, incorporating a lot of interesting local cuisine, but we always have North American favorites such as steak and French fries or pizza and salad available for less adventurous eaters.
- Some members of your family may love taking their time over great conversation and a few glasses of wine over lunch, while others prefer to grab a quick bite and hop on a bike for a ride along the river. Either way, our healthy, tasty menus adapt to everyone’s plan.
- Variety is the spice of life, not only in our kitchen but on our tours. With up to 23 included excursions offered during the week, there is plenty of “spice” to go around. Whether family members love art and history, food and wine or simply exploring the outdoors and getting in those extra steps each day, there are so many tours included that no one has to compromise their special interests.
- Mobility can sometimes pose a challenge for certain members of the family, but at AmaWaterways, we operate most of our city tours in small groups adapted to Gentle, Regular or Active paced walkers enabling everyone to enjoy discovering the destination at their own pace.
- Whether in our comfortable lounge or on our expansive Sun Deck, there is plenty of space to relax with a good book or even take a refreshing dip in the heated pool.
- The health and safety of our guests and crew is always our top priority. For 2022, enhanced Covid-19 protocols are in place and all guests 5 and over must be fully vaccinated. Depending on the itinerary, some countries may require a booster shot. Our crew are fully vaccinated, boosted and tested regularly throughout the river cruise.
- Remember to reach out to a travel advisor to take over the coordination of all the families involved. You may want to have AmaWaterways take care of all the flights, transfers and pre- or post-cruise stays, but a travel advisor is indispensable in bringing your group together to decide the date and itinerary best suited for you.
Make this a Mother’s Day surprise that will create memories that last a lifetime.
*On our programs in Europe and Southeast Asia, children under the age of 4 years old are not permitted on board and children 4-7 years old are not recommended. On our Africa safaris program, due to safety precautions, there is a minimum age limit of 12 years old, unless otherwise agreed upon by AmaWaterways.