The Zambezi Queen’s culinary secret recipe lies in the crust.
The signature lemon meringue pie made on board Zambezi Queen always delights guests. Head Chef Josephine has selflessly unveiled the recipe to this delectable dessert to our AmaFamily – a special treat for those who have been ever so curious about the secret ingredient to its crust. Hint: It’s the coconut! Her culinary secret lies in the recipe below:
- A scant ½ cup Brazil nuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup graham crackers or biscuit cookies, crushed
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut (60g)
- ½ cup butter, melted (125g)
- 2 tins full cream condensed milk (397g each)
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¾ to 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Baker’s sugar
For Biscuit Crust:
Heat oven to 356˚F. Mix all, press into deep 9 ½ inch (24cm) loose based tin. Bake for 10 min and allow to cool.
Mix condensed milk, egg yolks and lemon juice. Pour into crust and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Whip egg whites to stiff peaks. Beat in castor sugar until mix is stiff and glossy. Place back in the oven until golden brown. Regularly check on pie as this happens quickly. Allow to cool, or if you can’t wait, it’s just as delicious served warm.
Experience the exotic wonders of our 2021 Africa Safaris and Wildlife cruises– with five unique itineraries to choose from!