A delicious gluten-free way to indulge worry-free.
Gluten-free desserts are always available across AmaWaterways’ fleet and our gluten-free almond cake is a tempting choice. Here’s how we prepare it!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Cooling time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups firmly packed almond meal or almond flour (8 ounces), plus extra for dusting the pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon zest (from 2 medium lemons, preferably organic), plus more for garnish
Glaze and Topping
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or whipped cream
- ½ pound ripe strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (6 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Generously grease a 9-inch springform pan and dust with almond flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups of almond meal, the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl and beat with a whisk until yolks and egg whites are blended. Add maple syrup, olive oil, and lemon zest and whisk to blend. Pour the wet ingredients into the almond meal mixture and stir until there are just a few clumps remaining.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan (it will be runny; don’t worry). Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and the center is firm to the touch.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and 1 tablespoon maple syrup until blended. (If you’re using honey instead and having a hard time blending it into the lemon juice, place the bowl on top of your stove to warm it up while the cake bakes, or warm it briefly in the microwave until you can whisk them together.)
- Once the cake is out of the oven, place the cake, pan and all, on a cooling rack. While the cake is warm, use a pastry brush to brush the glaze over the top. It should soak right in.
- Let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes. Carefully remove the outer piece from your springform pan.
- Spread yogurt evenly on top, then place strawberries and blueberries on top. Sprinkle with some additional lemon zest, then slice the cake with a sharp knife and serve! Store any remaining cake in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 4 days.
Makes 8 servings.
Enjoy this delicious treat on board while sailing on one of our Europe River Cruises or learn more about AmaWaterways’ commitment to wellness.